- “Swami is reflected in a pure and equanimous mind. For example, if you want to see the reflection of the sky in a lake, two conditions have to be met. First, the water should be pure; because in muddy water, you will not be able to see even your own reflection. Second, water should be still and calm. Otherwise disturbed water with ripples will pervert the reflection of sky.”
- “Everyone in this world has four types of bodies – Sthoola Shareera – the physical body; Sookshma Shareera – the subtle body; Ati Sookshma Shareera – the higher subtle body; and Para Sookshma Shareera – the omnipresent super subtle body. Sthoola Shareera is the physical body which anyone can see. Right now, I am not in my physical body, but in the Sookshma Shareera (subtle body) which is beyond the physical. In My Sookshma Shareera, I can move to any part of the world without taking any time. In My Ati Sookshma Shareera, I enter the dreams and meditations of people and guide them. In Para Sookshma Shareera, I am present in every atom. At this point of time, you are in your physical body and if you are in a room, you cannot see what is outside, since there is a wall in between. But Sookshma Shareera is not bound by desha, Kala and paristhiti (space, time and circumstances) and therefore cannot be seen with physical eyes”
- “Though butter is present in the milk, one cannot see it. To make it visible, milk must be boiled, curdled and churned. Thus, to manifest butter physically, the milk must undergo a process of refinement (PariShuddhi). Swami has always existed. He exists now and will continue to exist in future. He takes various forms just like the water vapour transforms into water and further transforms into ice. The divinity materialises in various forms so that man can touch, feel and experience it.”
- “Earlier, I was in the Physical Body. Now, I am in the Subtle Body. It was easy to believe when I was in the Physical Body. Now it requires greater purity to perceive and believe Me in the Subtle Body. Here is an example: when children are in the First Standard, the teacher tells them, ‘The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.’ The children believe it, and they can also see it happening every morning and evening. This makes it easy to believe what their teacher says. When the same children go to the Sixth Standard, their teacher tells them, ‘The sun neither rises nor sets. The sun is stationary and the Earth rotates on its own axis and revolves round the sun, which causes day and night to occur.’ The children will believe that also, even though they cannot see what the teacher says. You believed Me when I was in the physical body; then you were in the First Standard. Now, you have to grow up to the level of the Sixth Standard students to believe in Me in the Subtle Body.”
- “In the next ten years, many important events will take place all over the world. Swami will manifest Himself in many ways in many places, simultaneously. This is happening right now. All around the globe, there are people who are experiencing Swami. Not outside, but within. The days of interview are over. It is time now for the inner view! It is time now for the inner net, not internet. As long as you have purity of heart, you can always feel My presence. “
- “The proof of divinity is the joy in your heart. The proof of rain is the wetness of the soil. When the soil is wet, you know that it must have rained. When the heart is filled with love and joy, then you know that God is very much there. Tears of Joy well up in your eyes when you feel the presence of Divinity. A dry heart and dry mind full of logic will never be able to experience that. You need the right instrument for the right dish to eat. Is it possible to eat daal with fork? It is not possible. You need a spoon to eat daal. Similarly, the mind is not the instrument to understand Divinity. It is in the pure heart that the reflection of God can bee seen.”
- Someone asked this in a Q&A session – “Swami why is it that you are seen only to a select few and not others”. He replied- “For 85 years I undertook the task of teaching you all the simple rules of life, some followed but a large majority forgot the message and got stuck to the form. Now I have the supreme task of making sure that each one of you follow my message. If each one of you start following my message then I will manifest in front of you”.
- Answering another question – “Where do these schools and hospitals fit in in this process of making man a divine being?” Swami said “I am spending crores of rupees on these institutions not to spread education or heal people, its just to give you all an opportunity to come and light the lamps of love and spread that light to a thousand other lamps.”
- My mission is not just education. Mission is transformation. The students and teachers should remember that we have to learn here not only Apara Vidya – material education, but also Para Vidya – spiritual education, which grants Self Realisation.
- When someone asked ” Which mantra will help us calm our minds and get closer to God?”. Swami replied ” This is not Dr Pillay’s clinic, where I can give you a tablet for you to swallow and make you healthy! I have never given mantras and will never do so. Seva (service) and Prema (love) are like the two wings of a bird, which can help it to fly high. Similarly, these two can help you spiritually by purifying and calming your mind and take you closer to God.
- “If one spits at the sky, the spit will fall on his own face and nothing will happen to the sky. I am untouched by praise or blame; or by pleasure and pain; because, I am beyond all attributes!”
– Quotes from Subtle Body Discourses published in book form as “Sri Sathya Sai Uvacha‘ by Sri Sathya Sai Premamruta Prakashana, Mandya, Karnataka India